Folic acid is often taken by pregnant women. It is also commonly used in the treatment of cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases. Can folic acid treat hypertension? What's the effect? What diseases can be treated? Let's have a look!
Can folic acid treat hypertension
Actually, it's not very effective. For now, it's controversial, but it's good for your health to eat a little folic acid.
1. A new study has found that people with higher folate intake through and through supplements have a lower risk of dementia in the elderly. Folic acid may help improve memory and reduce the risk of Alzheimer's in people over 50.
2. Folic acid is one of B vitamins. Dark green vegetables, whole wheat and fruits are rich in folic acid, but it is often destroyed in the process of food cooking or processing. Taking folic acid supplements makes it easier for the body to absorb folic acid. Medical experts recommend taking folic acid 0.4 mg per day.
3. People with low folate levels have a 70% higher death rate from heart disease. The addition of folic acid to grains in the United States and Canada significantly reduced stroke mortality in both countries. If folic acid and vitamin B12 are taken together, it can prevent the recurrence of cerebral infarction and myocardial infarction.
4. High homocysteine (H-type hypertension) is very common in Chinese patients with hypertension. It is estimated that 75% - 80% of the patients with hypertension are H-type hypertension. It is strongly recommended that all patients with hypertension go to the hospital for blood inspection and diagnosis. Once confirmed as type H hypertension, please continue to supplement folic acid 0.8mg/day.
5. There are two kinds of folate tablets, one is used to treat megaloblastic anemia, the specification is 5mg / tablet, far exceeding the recommended dose; the other is used to prevent neural tube malformation in pregnant women, the specification is 0.4mg/tablet, meeting the recommended dose. In general, please choose the latter, do not choose wrong.
What disease does folic acid treat
Mainly pregnant people eat, can prevent fetal deformity.
1. Foreign researchers found that folic acid can cause apoptosis of cancer cells, which has a certain impact on gene expression of cancer cells, so it belongs to a natural anti-cancer vitamin.
2. This disease has a significant alleviation effect. In addition, folic acid can also be used in the treatment of chronic atrophic gastritis, inhibition of bronchial squamous transformation and prevention of coronary arteriosclerosis, myocardial injury and myocardial infarction caused by hyperhomocysteinemia.
3. High dose of folic acid can prevent Alzheimer's disease. Treatment of folic acid deficiency constipation.
4. Prevention of fetal malformation: pregnant women increase folate intake in early pregnancy to reduce the risk of neural tube malformation. The lack of folate in early pregnancy will lead to the physiological defects of fetal spinal meningocele, cleft lip, heart and urethra.
5. Folate, also known as vitamin B9, can prevent fetal neural tube malformation. Folic acid can be supplied from food, such as green leafy vegetables, which contain a relatively high amount of folic acid; it can also be obtained from drugs.
Precautions for folic acid consumption
1. There are two folic acid formulations on the market, one is 5mg per tablet, and the other is 0.4mg per tablet. Pregnant women should take small dosage forms, one tablet a day is enough. Taking too much folate not only can't prevent fetal malformation, but also may cover up the symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency, interfere with zinc metabolism, cause zinc deficiency or nerve damage in pregnant women. If you do not get pregnant as scheduled after taking folic acid for three months, you should continue to supplement folic acid until three months after pregnancy.
2. Folic acid is easy to be destroyed in acid environment, and it is more stable in alkaline and neutral environment, while vitamin C, vitamin B2 and vitamin B6 are more stable in acid environment. If vitamin C, vitamin B2 and vitamin B6 are taken at the same time of folic acid supplementation, the absorption rate will be affected due to the conflict between the two stable environments. In view of this, the best time interval between the two is more than half an hour.
3. Taking folic acid tablets can cover up the early manifestations of vitamin B12 deficiency, and lead to nervous system damage; taking folic acid tablets can interfere with the role of anticonvulsant drugs, and induce convulsion in patients.
4. Taking 350 mg folic acid tablets may affect the absorption of zinc, resulting in zinc deficiency, fetal growth retardation, and increase of low birth weight infants.
5. Taking folic acid tablets can interfere with the effect of anticonvulsant drugs and induce convulsion.