Sihai network

Why can't dogs eat chocolate? What harm does chocolate do to dogs

I've heard that even a small dog can't eat chocolate. Why can't you eat a little chocolate in America. Is it really so terrible? The following Xiaobian will take you to find the answer!

Dogs have been accompanying humans for a long time. Perhaps it is for this reason that people and dogs share the same food preferences. However, for sweets, although humans can easily digest them, dogs can't. human favorite chocolate also has toxic effects on them, and sometimes even takes their lives. The more chocolate a dog eats, the more authentic it is likely to suffer. Perhaps due to resistance, a little chocolate won't be a big problem for large dogs, but owners of small dogs should pay special attention not to let your dog eat a little chocolate.

Chocolate is made from cocoa beans and contains a variety of methyl xanthine derivatives, such as caffeine and theobromine. These substances bind to certain receptors on the cell surface, thus preventing natural substances in animals from binding to receptors. Taking small doses of methylxanthine, dogs will vomit and diarrhea, while humans will have a euphoria. Chocolate contains a lot of theobromine and a small amount of caffeine. If the dog eats too much chocolate, it will cause muscle spasm and even shock. After taking theobromine and caffeine, the dog's heart rate will jump to more than twice its normal rate, and some will run around like a large cup of espresso.

Dogs can also digest a small amount of chocolate, the specific amount of digestion depends on its size and the type of chocolate they eat. Unsweetened baking chocolate contains more than six times as much methylxanthine as cream chocolate. According to experts, 4 ounces (about 120 grams) of cream chocolate can be a lethal dose for some small dogs.

In every festival with a strong festive atmosphere, such as Valentine's day, Easter and Christmas, many owners will run to the animal medical center with their dogs in their arms to see the doctor for their dogs. Hackett, a veterinarian with 16 years of experience, said: 'although a lot of dogs are sick, they really die of chocolate. I've only seen one dog in these 16 years. The toxic effect of chocolate on dogs may be a chronic process. 'if you just eat a small amount of chocolate, the dog can resist, so don't bother the veterinarians. If you eat fast and much, you have to force it to eat activated carbon, remove the methylxanthine in chocolate, and avoid entering the blood circulation through the digestive system. Although chocolate can't take the lives of dogs in an instant, owners still give their dogs less chocolate.