Wisdom teeth generally begin to sprout after adulthood. At this time, people's physical and psychological development is close to maturity, so it is regarded as a symbol of the arrival of wisdom, so it is called wisdom tooth.
Causes of wisdom teeth in adults
Wisdom teeth, also known as the third molar, are arranged at the last end of the gum. Not everyone has wisdom teeth, and the eruption time of wisdom teeth is not as regular as other teeth. The age span of wisdom teeth eruption is relatively large, generally between 17 and 25 years old. This age group is just the stage of intellectual development, so it is called wisdom teeth. Of course, 30 or even 40 year olds have wisdom teeth.
Modern medicine generally considers wisdom teeth to be the remains of human evolution. Because wisdom tooth grows at the end of alveolar bone, the alveolar bone of modern human being degenerates in length, width and strength due to more and more refined eating, which leads to the failure of providing enough space for wisdom tooth eruption. In this way, when wisdom tooth erupts, it often causes ectopic eruption and obstruction due to lack of space. These abnormal eruption and the difficulty of clean prevention and treatment are added Difficult usually in clinical manifestations for wisdom teeth pericoronitis, wisdom teeth or adjacent teeth caries, periodontitis, pulpitis and other diseases, repeatedly causing severe swelling and pain.
For the wisdom teeth that need early preventive extraction, the best age is 17-19 years old. The reason is that young patients at this age stage have not yet fully formed root, extraction is relatively easy, but adult root has been fully formed, increasing the difficulty of tooth extraction; in addition, young patients have better tolerance and healing ability than adults, and their bone regeneration and epithelial reattachment are better, which is conducive to the recovery of adjacent periodontal damage.
Must wisdom teeth be pulled out
(1) Removal is recommended in the following cases:
Pericoronitis was caused repeatedly by impacted mandibular wisdom teeth;
Mandibular impacted wisdom teeth caries or inclines forward to cause adjacent teeth caries and tooth damage;
Food impaction between the second molar and wisdom tooth was caused;
In orthodontic treatment, to prevent anterior teeth crowding or deformity recurrence after orthodontic treatment;
It may be the inducement of TMJ disorder syndrome (mainly manifested as the upper and lower jaw, the pain of occlusal joint, the sound or occlusion disorder during occlusion);
The teeth suspected to be the focus of cyst, tumor or neuralgia;
In order to prevent the above symptoms, wisdom teeth can be extracted early when there is no symptom.
(2) It is recommended to keep the following situations:
It can germinate normally and occlude with the opposite teeth;
It is completely embedded in the bone and does not contact with the adjacent teeth. It does not cause symptoms and can be temporarily retained;
In orthodontic treatment, the molar in front of the wisdom tooth is missing, and the wisdom tooth is moved forward to replace the missing tooth.
Precautions after wisdom tooth extraction
(1) After the wisdom tooth is pulled out, the doctor will put a cotton ball at the wound to help blood coagulation. The patient must bite the cotton ball tightly and spit it out after half an hour. Do not touch the wound with hands and tongue to avoid infection.
(2) Try not to brush your teeth 24 hours after wisdom tooth extraction. You should avoid touching the extraction position when brushing. You can use warm salt water instead of brushing.
(3) It is normal that there is a little blood mixed in the saliva within 24 hours after tooth extraction. Do not suck saliva. If there is saliva, try to swallow it down. If there is too much bleeding, see a doctor at any time.
(4) Avoid eating within 2 hours after wisdom tooth extraction. After 2 hours, you can eat some cold liquid food and semi liquid food properly. Do not eat stimulating food, do not smoke or drink, do not engage in strenuous activities, and talk less.
(5) If there is suture, the suture should be removed 7 days after operation.